Monday, August 6, 2012

Copenhagen!

This past weekend Michelle and I met up in glorious Copenhagen, Denmark! I flew with Air Berlin and experienced ridiculous delays in my Berlin layover. We sat on the runway for about 2 hours without moving! The flight from Berlin to Copenhagen is only 40 minutes! It was just simply ridiculous. I finally got to Copenhagen about 2 hours behind schedule, all the currency exchanges were closed at the airport, and naturally I got lost on my way to the hostel. Michelle thought I died, but I eventually made it, and we even found our other ICPers Zack and Dylan. Our hostel was so awesome and located right in the heart of the night life. After my stressful travels it was only fitting that we hit the town, and so we did!

Saturday morning we woke and at 11:00 headed to another one of Sandeman's free walking tours.  I can't recommend these tours enough - always highly entertaining and quite affordable. We had a great British tour guide named Simon and he was in full support of Michelle and I enjoying Carlsberg on our tour. I'm really going to miss socially acceptable public day drinking, it's just grand. During our tour we saw the Danish Royal Palace, the picturesque Nyhavn harbor, Danish Parliament, and much more! We enjoyed our tour guide so much that we bought tickets to the Pub Crawl that Sandemans puts on. After the tour, we followed our noses and sought out some delicious Indian food. After we ate ourselves into a food coma, we took a little nappy nap before the pub crawl. When we woke up we met the other people in our room, an Aussie named Zach, two Austrians whose names I forget, and the unforgettable Benny from Germany. He had the most hilarious German accent whenever he spoke English, and he humored us and helped us speak auf Deutsch. We couldn't convince our new hostel friends to pub crawl with us, but it was ok because we met back up with Zack and Dylan and made plenty of new friends. We met a group of girls from Switzerland, and awesome chick from Sweden, and people from all over the place!

Drankin' and tourin'
Power Island
Copenhagen :)
Fast-forward to Sunday. Michelle, Zach, Benny and I decided to check out the free state of Christiania, a neighborhood commune in Copenhagen that has their own laws and it basically just a crazy place. Weed is pretty legal there, and by pretty legal I mean I saw one of those giant bricks of weed like you see in the movies. The place was insane, and so dirty. After we had our fill of squalor, we headed back to our sweet hostel and napped on these awesome couch/bed things. Then Benny convinced Michelle and I to accompany him to Tivoli Gardens. The park opened on August 15, 1843 and is the second oldest amusement park in the world. It was a money pit, and not very exciting, but it was rather cute. I think I'm just spoiled from Cedar Point, best amusement park in the world! Still, Tivoli was adorable as was the entire city of Copenhagen. I think the best part of the weekend was meeting all sorts of people from all over the world. I'm really going to miss that when I'm back in the states, which is in 16 days but who's counting? Also, did I mention that Shane and I booked flights and we're going to Rome and Venice as a final hurrah? ADVENTURES!
The crazy couch bed things.
Adorable lil Tivoli

No comments:

Post a Comment